CUNOASTEREA ISLAMULUI - ISLAMIC KNOWLEDGE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forumul Femeilor Musulmane - The Forum Of Muslim Women

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Time
Latest topics
» Arabic Language - online
Who Wrote... EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:42 pm by Maryem***

» About Qur'an
Who Wrote... EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:33 pm by Maryem***

» Evlavia Profetului Nostru
Who Wrote... EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:56 pm by Maryem***

» Limba Araba
Who Wrote... EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:56 am by Maryem***

» Cum se pronunta literele in limba araba
Who Wrote... EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:51 am by Maryem***

» IMAGINI - AIlfabetul Limbii Arabe, Scriere si Pronuntie
Who Wrote... EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:43 am by Maryem***

» Islamul este...
Who Wrote... EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:09 am by Maryem***

» Who Wrote...
Who Wrote... EmptyTue May 10, 2011 5:59 am by Maryem***

» Tafsir of Suratul Fatihah
Who Wrote... EmptyTue May 10, 2011 5:57 am by Maryem***

Calendar
Facebook
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Visit
Quran

Who Wrote...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maryem***
Admin
Maryem***

Data de inscriere : 2010-12-15
Varsta : 31
Localizare : Egypt

Who Wrote... Empty
PostSubject: Who Wrote...   Who Wrote... EmptyTue May 10, 2011 5:59 am

In the name of Allah Most Beneficent Most Merciful
All praise is for Allah the Exalted and may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon His
Messenger Muhammad and his family and companions and all those who follow them
and their way until the Day of Resurrection
Introduction
"Do they not then consider the Qur’an carefully? Had it been from other than
Allah, they would surely have found therein much contradiction." [4:82]
God created man for a noble purpose: to worship Him and lead a righteous life based
on His commands and guidance to mankind. Mankind learned this by God sending
Messengers with clear and practical instructions of the meaning of life and how to
worship God properly. God also revealed to these Prophets and Messengers
knowledge about what will happen after death and the rewards and punishments for
one’s actions.
These Prophets and Messengers convey the same prevailing message which is
entrusted to them by God. They proclaimed:
"…Oh my people! Worship God! (i.e., without associating anything with him) You
have no other god but Him. [Qur'an: 7:65]
God sent a Prophet and/or Messenger to every nation throughout the history of
mankind.
"And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a messenger
(proclaiming): Worship Allah (Alone) and avoid (or keep away from) all false
deities"
[Qur'an: 16:36]
Some of them we have been informed of and others we have not. These Prophets and
Messengers include, but not limited to: Adam, Noah, Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob,
Joseph, Moses, Aaron, Lot, David, Solomon, Elias, Elisha, Hood, Thul-Kifi, Enoch,
Jonah, Job Shu’aib, Saalih, Ezra, Zachariyyah, John, Jesus , Muhammad and others
peace and blessings be upon them all.
Some of them were sent with Books while others were not.
Some of the books that we were informed of are the Scriptures of Abraham, the Torah
of Moses, the Zaboor of Dawood, and the Injeel which was revealed to Jesus. All of
these scriptures contained the same basic message from God to mankind.
Each Prophet brought specific instructions from God addressed to a particular people
for certain times in history and particular circumstances although the essential message
remained the same.
A few examples of this would be the fact that Moses' contemporaries were excellent in
magic. So his major miracle was to defeat the best magicians of his days. Jesus'
contemporaries were recognized as skillful physicians. Therefore, his miracles were to
raise the dead and cure the incurable diseases. The Arabs, the contemporaries of the
Muhammad, were known for their eloquence and magnificent poetry. So Muhammad's
(Peace and Blessings be upon him) major miracle was the Qur’an, the equivalent of
which the whole legion of the Arab poets and orators could not produce despite the
repeated challenge from the Qur’an itself.
However, the beauty and power of Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
major miracle is that it removes the constraints of place and time. It is the permanent
miracle for all generations to see.
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is the final Messenger and that his
Prophethood is also not limited to time and place, and is for all peoples (after the advent
of his Prophethood) in all times until the Day of Judgement.
Now, many who would agree with everything we have stated above may reject this
about Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) his Messengership and the
scripture with which he was sent. (The Qur’an)
It is our objective here to prove without a shadow of a doubt that the Qur’an is in fact
from God Himself and by extension that Muhammad is in fact a Messenger of God. For
we cannot accept the Message and reject the Messenger, or vice versa. Both must be
accept or both must be rejected.
We can basically divide the groups of opinions on the Qur’an into three groups:
- Those who say that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) himself
wrote the Qur’an
- Those who say that the Qur’an was written by someone else and taught to
Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him)
- Those who believe that the Qur’an is the pure word of God having no human
author
In this article, we will briefly review the above three arguments based on logic, historical
evidence, textual analysis and even scientific data.
Based on our arguments above, we can logically conclude that if the Qur’an was written
by Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) or some other man (or group of
men) then it is correct to reject the man and his message. However, if it is proven that
the Qur’an is indeed from God, then it is necessary for us to believe in it, follow it and
accept Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and a Messenger of God.
We ask the reader to reflect…
First Claim:
Muhammad (Peace an d Blessings be upon him) wrote the Qur’an.
Those who claim that the Qur’an was written by Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be
upon him) have given him a different motive for doing so and can basically be divided
into the following groups
- For Material Gain/ Power and Glory
- To Unite the Arabs or to morally reform them
- Epileptic Seizures or Self-Delusions
With Muhammad being perhaps the most well documented man in human history, we
can easily examine these claims and compare them to his life.
Firstly, the claim that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) wrote the Qur’an
is not new. His own people made this claim. In response, to this claim, God revealed the
following:
Say: "It is not for me to change it on my own accord; I only follow that which is
revealed unto me. Verily, I fear if I were to disobey my Lord, the torment of the
Great Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)." Say: "If Allah had so willed, I should not
have recited it to you nor would He have made it known to you. Verily, I have
stayed amongst you a life time before this. Have you then no sense?"
[Qur’an 10-16]
This verse is telling his critics to reflect on the fact that Muhammad (Peace and
Blessings be upon him) lived amongst them from forty (40) years before reciting the
Qur’an to them while never showing any signs of inclination to poetry and themselves
knowing that he was illiterate. If he could no t read or write, then where did these
magnificent verses come from?
Also reflect on the fact that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is
commanded in the verses above to “Say” twice. This is a command to make a certain
statement to the people. One can find this command “Say” 332 times throughout the
Qur’an. In other places in the Qur’an he is ordered to “proclaim”, “Glorify Your Lord”,
“Prostrate Yourself” etc. So we ask is this how a man talks to himself or writes a book?
Also one must consider the fact that even before his Prophethood Muhammad (Peace
and Blessings be upon him) was known amongst his people as “Al-Amin”, the
trustworthy and the truthful. No one ever recorded a lie against him.
Many Western historians agree with this analysis:
"If a man like Muhammad were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world, he
would succeed in solving its problems that would bring it the much needed peace and
happiness." George Bernard Shaw
"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may
surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in
history who was supremely successful o n both the religious and secular level."
--Michael H. Hart, THE 100: A RANKING OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PERSONS IN HISTORY, New
York: Hart Publishing Company, Inc ., 1978, p. 33
"Muhammad was the soul of kindness, and his influence was felt and never forg otten by
those around him."
--Diwan Chand Sharma, The Prophets of the East, Calcutta 1935, p. l 22.
"He was Caesar and Pope in one; but he was Pope without Pope's pretensions, Caesar
without the legions of Caesar: without a standing army, without a bodyguard, without a
palace, without a fixed revenue; if ever any man had the right to say that he ruled by the
right divine, it was Mohammed, for he had all the power without its instruments and
without its supports."
--Bosworth Smith, Mohammad and Mohammadanism, London, 1874, p. 92.
"Philosopher, orator, apostle, legislator, warrior, conqueror of ideas, restorer of rational
dogmas, of a cult without images; the founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one
spiritual empire, that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human
greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he?"
Lamartine, HISTOIRE DE LA TURQUIE, Paris, 1854, Vol. II, pp. 276 -277
"It is impossible for anyone who studies the life and character of the great Prophet of
Arabia, who knows how he taught and how he lived, to feel anything but reverence for
that mighty Prophet, one of the great messengers of the Supreme. And although in what
I put to you I shall say many things which may be familiar to many, yet I myself feel
whenever I re-read them, a new way of admiration, a new sense of reverence for that
mighty Arabian teacher."
Annie Besant, THE LIFE AND TEACHINGS OF MUHAMMAD, Madras,1932, p. 4.
"His readiness to undergo persecutions for his beliefs, the high moral character of the
men who believed in him and looked up to him as leader, and the greatness of his
ultimate achievement - all argue his fundamental integrity. To suppose Muhammad an
impostor raises more problems than it solves. Moreover, none of the great figures of
history is so poorly appreciated in the West as Muhammad."
W. Montgomery Watt, MOHAMMAD AT MECCA, Oxford, 1953, p. 52.
So, we ask the reader to reflect on the following:
Is it logical to believe that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) who, until the
age of forty and, as we mentioned earlier, was known to his people as al-Amin (The
Trustworthy) and who is still admired even by Western scholars for his honesty and
integrity, all of a sudden began to write a book that is unmatched in literary merit and
that has not be matched by legions of the Arab poets and orators of the highest caliber
throughout history?
Is it reasonable to say that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him), made a
false claim and on that very falsehood trained thousands of individuals of outstanding
character, integrity, and honesty who were able to establish the best human society that
the world has ever known?
Material Gain? Power and Glory?
Some claim that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) wrote the Qur’an for
some type of material gain or for power and glory. However, this claim is at odds with
the historical evidence.
In fact, when one studies the history of Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings be upon
him) life, we find that he was actually materially more well off BEFORE claiming
Prophethood than afterwards.
At twenty-five years old, Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was married
to the wealthy widow named Khadijah and lived a life of relative comfort.
However, after his call to Prophethood, his standard of living declined dramatically,
sometimes going two months without cooking anything, surviving only on dates and
water, because of the extreme hardships that he and his family endured after
proclaiming God’s message.
This would not be a temporary sacrifice, but a way of life for him until he died. At no time
in his Prophethood did he ever live in a fancy palace, wear the finest clothes or enjoy
the luxuries of this world. Even after the early Muslims became successful and started
to make financial gains, Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings be upon him) wives
complained about their living conditions and wondered why they had to continue to live
so poorly when there was (seemingly) no need.
A revelation then came from God stating:
O Prophet! Say to your wives: If you desire the life of this world, and its glitter,
Then come! I will make a provision for you and set you free (i.e., divorce) in a
handsome manner But if you desire Allah and His Messenger, and the home of
the Hereafter, then verily, Allah has prepared for the good doers amongst you an
enormous reward. (i.e., Heaven)
[Qur’an 33-29]
One of Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings be upon him) companions, describing his
room said:
“I noticed that the contents of his room comprised of only three pieces of tanned skin
and a handful of barley in a corner. I looked but failed to find anything else. I began to
cry. He (Muhammad, Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him) said: “Why are you
weeping”? I replied, ‘O’ Prophet of Allah! Why should I not cry? I can see the patterns
of the mat imprinted on your body and I am also beholding all that you have in this
room. O’ Prophet of Allah! Pray that Allah may grant ample provisions for us. The
Persians and the Romans, who have no true faith and who do not worship Allah but
they worship their Kings, live in gardens with streams flowing in their midst. But the
chosen Prophet and accepted slave of Allah should live in such dire poverty?!” The
Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was resting against his pillow, but when he
heard me talk like this, he sat up and said, ‘O’ Umar! Are you still in doubt about this
matter? Ease and comfort in the hereafter are much better than ease and comfort in this
world. The disbelievers are enjoying their share of the good things in this world,
whereas the Believers have all such things in store for them in the next’ “ (Muslim)
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be Upon Him) died poor and his deprivation of this
world was self-imposed.
The most significant refutation to this claim that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be
upon him) was seeking wealth and power is the following story when the Chiefs of
Makkah came to him trying to get him to stop preaching his message:
“O’ Muhammad, You are, as you know a noble from your tribe and your lineage assures
you a place of honor. And now you have brought to your people a matter of grave
concern, whereby you have split their community, declared their way of life to be foolish,
spoken shamefully of their gods and religion and called their forefathers disbelievers.
Listen to what I propose and see if any of it is acceptable to you. If it is wealth that you
seek, we will gather our wealth and make you the richest amongst us. If you seek
honor, we will make you our overlord and we will make no decision without your
consent. If you seek Kingship, then we will make you our King. And if you can not get rid
of this demon that appears to you, we will find you a physician and spend all our money
until you are cured.”
Life of the Prophet Muhammad, Ibn Hishaam
When he finished, Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) had received
revelation which stated:
Haa Meem. A revelation from Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. A
Book whereof the Verses are explained in detail; A Qur'an in Arabic for people
who know. Giving glad tidings and warning, but most of them turn away, so they
don’t listen. And they say: "Our hearts are under coverings (screened) from that
to which you invite us, and in our ears is deafness, and between us and you is a
screen, so work you (on your way); verily, we are working (on our way). Say: "I
am only a human being like you. It is inspired in me that your God is One,
therefore take Straight Path to Him and obedience to Him, and seek forgiveness
of Him. And woe to the polytheists. Those who give not the Zakât and they are
disbelievers in the Hereafter. Truly, those who believe and do righteous good
deeds, for them will be an endless reward that will never end
[Qur’an 41-8]
So had his aim been wealth and power, then he could have easily achieved his goal
without going through the hardship and poverty he went through up until his death.
To Unite The Arabs?
The claim that Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings be upon him) goal was to unite the
Arabs is also difficult to defend when one looks into the life of Muhammad (Peace and
Blessings be upon him) and his own statements against nationalism, tribalism etc.
Firstly, again, had this been his goal, he could have archived it when the Chiefs of
Makkah offered him wealth and riches in exc hange for him agreeing to stop preaching.
Secondly, the concept of nationalism does not exist in Islam. Islam made the bond of
faith and truth and falsehood the most important basis for binding people together and
not nationalism, tribe affiliation, race, or ethnicity.
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) himself spoke out on numerous
occasions against this type of ideology stating:
"Let people stop boasting about their forefathers who have died, who are merely fuel for
the Hell Fire; or they will certainly be more insignificant with Allah than the beetle which
rolls dung with its nose. Allah has removed from you the partisanship of the days of
jaahiliyyah (refers to the Pre-Islamic days) and the boasting about one's forefathers.
Indeed a person is either a pious Believer or a wretched sinner. All of mankind are the
children of Adam, and Adam was created from clay. [Related by Abu Dawood and at-
Tirmithi]
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) also said: "Indeed there is no
excellence for an Arab over a Non-Arab, nor a Non-Arab over an Arab, nor a white
person over a black one, nor a black person over a white one, except through piety.”
[Related by Ahmad]
The Qur’an is filled with the same message. One example of this is in the following
verse:
"O’ mankind, we have created you from male and female and have made you into
nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Indeed the most noblest of
you with Allah is the one who has the most piety." [Surah al-Hujuraat 49]
The examples from both the Qur’an and the statements of Muhammad (Peace and
Blessings be upon him) are too numerous to mention them all but this should suffice to
make the point.
Regardless of one’s color, nationality, or tribe, anyone who believes in the Islamic
message is part of the brotherhood.
With the above being the case, the logical question beckons that had this been written
by Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) as these people allege for the
purpose of uniting the Arabs, then why would he have put the exact opposite message
in this book? Indeed, from the story we quoted above, we can see that this Islamic
message actually divided the Arabs into two distinct groups: Muslims and non-Muslim.
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) also had companions that were from
different tribes and were other than Arab.
He had Epilepsy?
Other people who reject the Prophethood of Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon
him) agree because of the historical evidence of Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings be
upon him) impeccable charac ter and truthfulness that he would not have deliberately
fabricated the Qur’an and his Prophethood, so they allege for some reason that he
either had epilepsy or was delusional and actually believed that he was a Prophet.
Firstly, again keeping in mind that Muhammad is perhaps history’s most well
documented man, there is absolutely no evidence from his life to support this claim, and
all evidence suggests that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) lived a
normal and sane life all the way up to his death at the age of sixty (60). However in spite
of that, we will nonetheless prove that this claim is false and malicious.
Secondly, even some Orientalists (non-Muslims who have achieved considerable status
as authorities on Islam) themselves have rejected these claims of epilepsy as false and
ridiculous. Daniel commenting on the claim of epilepsy said:
“…epilepsy as applied to the Prophet was the explanation of those who sought to
amuse rather than to instruct”
Khalifa, Mohammad The Sublime Qu’ran and Orientalism p. 13
John Davenport said,
"This remark that Muhammad has suffered the attacks of epilepsy is one of the false,
awkward sayings of the Greeks by which they meant to stain the prestige of the
propagator of a new religion, and turn the world of Christianity against his moral
behavior and qualities."
Udhri Taqsir, p.20
There are various types of epilepsy, the main ones being grand mal, petit mal and
psychomotor.
Grand Mal includes generalized convulsions in which there is sudden unconsciousness
with falling and shaking of the limbs. Sometimes the person screams just before the
seizure and it is followed by stiffening and halted respiration. Next come jerky moves
and one can bite one’s tongue and the person experiences a headache. Afterwards,
the y have no recollection of what happened.
When Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) received revelation, it was
described like the ringing of a bell, while other times the Angel Gabriel came to him in
the form of a man and delivered the message directly. When one compares grand mal
to the description of Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) receiving
revelation, it is obvious that he did not suffer from grand mal.
Petit Mal involves momentary lapses of awareness and more than seventy percent
(70%) of patients have their first attack before the age of twenty. It involves no
involuntary movements and can happen several times in a day without interruption of
consciousness. This too, is in opposition to the description of Muhammad’s (Peace and
Blessings be upon him) receiving revelation.
Firstly, Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was forty (40) years old when
he began to receive revelation. And each time he received revelation, it was for several
minutes – not moments.
Psychomotor seizures involve convulsions. They last only a few seconds are
accompanied with screams and mumbles which do not make words and sentences,
much less entire chapters of a book which are not only completely understandable, but
of the highest eloquence.
Epilepsy takes control of one’s thoughts during seizures, yet Muhammad (Peace and
Blessings be upon him) was in complete control during the revelation and was able to
recall the event in detail, unlike one who would have an epileptic seizure.
Beyond the above facts, one must ask how could Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be
upon him) unconsciously know about previous nations? How could he unconsciously
answer questions people asked him and be so correct? No one ever stood up to claim
that they too are familiar with these stories.
How could he know about future events which would later come to pass? How could he
have known that the Persians and Romans would go to war and who would win the war
years in advance?
Therefore when the facts are examined, the epileptic seizure s theories can not only be
easily ruled out as absurd but we can only conclude that this claim is made out of
outright maliciousness because the evidence is overwhelmingly against them.
Norman Daniel commenting on the slanders made against Muhammad (Peace and
Blessings be upon him) said:
"All writers (referring to Western Writers) tended - more or less - to cling to fantastic
tales about Islam and its Prophet... The use of false evidence to attack Islam was all but
universal."
Norman Daniel, Islam and the West, One world Publications 1993, p.267
Daniel also goes on to explain: "At the worst there was the assertion of the fantastic,
and its repetition without discrimination; at the best there was the selection of only those
facts that served the purpose of controversy."
ibid, p.268
Nonetheless, material gain; desire for power; desire to unify the Arabs and ever having
had epilepsy are all easily ruled out when any unbiased reader one looks into the life of
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
Second Claim:
Someone other than Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) wrote the
Qur’an
Some people claim that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) did not write
the Qur’an, but actually either copied it from other sources or learned it from someone
else. Let us examine these claims separately
Copied from Other Sources?
Amongst those who claim that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) did not
write the Qur’an but got it from other sources are those who claim that he simply copied
either the Apocrypha (Some of the scriptures not included in the canon from the Council
of Nicea in 325 CE that became known as the Bible, and later the “Catholic Version” of
the Bible) and/or the Bible itself.
The first problem with this argument is that Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon
him) as we mentioned earlier was illiterate and could not copy what he could not read.
Please keep in mind what we stated earlier about Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings
be upon him) well known impeccable character and the fact that it was known that he
was illiterate and that there is also no record of the pagan Arabs in Mecca accusing
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) of not being illiterate.
Had he not been illiterate, as the Qur’an itself stated, would this have not been easy to
prove during Muhammad’s lifetime by his enemies who were eager to discredit him?
This fact alone shows that it was common knowledge during his lifetime that he was
indeed illiterate and no one questioned this.
Secondly, even if one were to assume, for argument’s sake, that he could read, then the
first Arabic translation of what is known as the “Old Testament” was not produced until
some two hundred (200) years after Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
death and the first Arabic translation of the “New Testament” did not appear until one
thousand years after his death.
Sidney Griffith, after extensive study, concludes that:
All one can say about the possibility of a pre-Islamic, Christian version of the Gospel in
Arabic is that no sure sign of its actual existence has yet emerged.
"The Gospel In Arabic: An Enquiry Into Its Appearance In The First Abbasid Century", Oriens Christianus,
Volume 69, p. 166
Ernst Würthwein states in his book The Text Of The Old Testament that:
With the victory of Islam the use of Arabic spread widely, and for Jews and Christians in
the conquered lands it became the language of daily life. This gave rise to the need of
Arabic versions of the Bible, which need was met by a number of versions mainly
independent and concerned primarily for interpretation
The Text Of The Old Testament, 1988, William B Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids,
Michigan, pp. 104.
So it is clear that no Arabic translations of the Bible or the Apocrypha existed during the
lifetime of Muhammad (Peace and Blessing be upon him)
Thirdly, the historical evidence suggests that there was no Christian or Jewish influence
in the Hijaz (Inner part of the Arabian Peninsula) and particularly in Makkah where
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was born and raised.
Before the birth of Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) the Hijaz was for the
most part ignored by the major empires of that time (The Persian and Roman) and left
isolated with the exception of the time of when the Ethiopian King Abraha briefly tried
and failed to conquer Makkah during the year Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be
upon him) was born.
The New Catholic Encyclopedia states concerning the time of the Muhammad (Peace
and Blessings be upon him) that:
The Hijaz [Arabian Peninsula] had not been touched by Christian preaching. Hence
organization of the Christian church was neither to be expected nor found
New Catholic Encyclopedia, Op.Cit, Vol. 1, pp. 721-722
There is a wealth of historical evidence to show similar evidence that there was no
Christian influence in the Hijaz where Muhammad (Peace and Blessing be upon him)
lived, so we must ask ourselves who then would have taught him the Bible and/or the
apocrypha (which were not even in Arabic) for him to later take from these sources, that
he would have had to memorize, to later write the Qur’an?
The Hijaz was so isolated that four men from amongst the Makkans who were
searching for the true religion of Abraham had to leave Makkah in search of it. Waraqa
Ibn Nawfal, was amongst them and returned as a Christian. We will discuss him more in
detail below.
Fourthly, the Qur’an itself answers these claims that someone was teaching
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and at the same time points to the fact
that the Arabic used in the Qur’an is pure.
And indeed We know that they (The Disbelievers) say: "It is only a human being
who teaches him (Muhammad Peace and Blessings be upon him)." The tongue of the
man they refer to is foreign, while this (the Qur'an) is a clear Arabic tongue.
[Qur'an 16]
The Qur’an also says referring to Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
Neither did you (Muhammad, Peace and Blessing be upon him) read any book
before it (the Qur'an), nor did you write any book with your hand. In that case,
indeed, the followers of falsehood might have doubted
[Qur'an 29]
This argument was answered over one thousand four hundred years ago, by the Qur’an
itself, yet these critics are still unable to provide any new evidence for their erroneous
claims
Learned the Qur’an from another human?
Others, from amongst those who argue that Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon
him) got the Qur’an from some other source allege that he was taught by another
person.
Some of them specifically allege that he was taught by Waraqa Ibn Nawfal who, as we
mentioned earlier, was one of the four men who left the pagan faith of Makkah in search
for the true religion of Abraham and returned as a Christian.
Here we must state that the true religion of all of the Prophets including that of Abraham
and Jesus was Islam.
By “Islam”, we mean submission to God’s will. It is the same way, as we mentioned in
the introduction that all of the Prophets called to: Pure Monotheism.
By “Christian” (in the case of those like Waraqa Ib n Nawfal and Salman the Persian) we
mean that he was a person who was following to the best of his ability the true Islamic
teachings of Jesus which was in line with the teachings of all the other Prophets and
expecting the last Prophet. This is what is meant by the religion of Abraham that they
were in search of.
This is the religion that Waraqa Ibn Nawfal was looking for and apparently found
because when Muhammad was seeking an explanation of what he had seen after his
first revelation Waraqa told him
"This is the same one who keeps the secrets (angel Gabriel) whom Allah had sent to
Moses. I wish I were young and could live up to the time when your people would turn
you out." Allah's Messenger (Peace and Blessings be upon him) asked, "Will they drive
me out?" Waraqa replied in the affirmative and said, "Anyone who came with something
similar to what you have brought was treated with hostility; and if I should remain alive
till the day when you will be turned out then I would support you strongly." But after a
few days Waraqa died. [Sahih al-Bukhari]
While it is clear in the passage above that Waraqa died just a few days after
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) first received revelation from the Angel
Gabriel, it was also clear that Waraqa Ibn Nawfal believed in his Prophethood.
So the claim that Waraqa taught the Qur’an to Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be
upon him) simply holds no water.
Others try to allege that Salman the Persian taught the Qur’an to Muhammad (Peace
and Blessings be upon him).
Salman, who was from Persia, was a Zoroastrian who converted to Christianity and
ventured to Syria to learn more about his religion. There, he learned from one of the
Christian Bishops about the coming of the last Prophet and the signs accompanying his
advent. He then traveled to Hijaz where he was seized, sold into slavery, and taken to
Madinah, where he eventually met Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him).
When he found in Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) the fulfillment of all
the signs of which he had been informed, he became a Muslim.
In Ibn Ishaq's Sirat Rasul Allah, we find the following account of Salman's journey in
search of the true religion and the coming Prophet:
"`Asim ibn `Umar ibn Qatada said that he was told that Salman the Persian told the
Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon him) that his master in 'Ammuriya told him to go
to a certain place in Syria where there was a man who lived between two thickets.
Every year as he used to go from one to the other, the sick used to sta nd in his way and
everyone he prayed for was healed. He said, 'Ask him about this religion which you
seek, for he can tell you of it.' So I went on until I came to the place I had been told of,
and I found that people had gathered there with their sick until he came out to them that
night passing from one thicket to the other. The people came to him with their sick and
everyone he prayed for was healed. They prevented me from getting to him so that I
could not approach him until he entered the thicket he wa s making for, but I took hold of
his shoulder. He asked me who I was as he turned to me and I said, 'God have mercy
on you, tell me about the Hanifiyyah, (the religion of Abraham).' He replied, 'You are
asking about something men do not inquire of today; the time has come near when a
prophet will be sent with this religion from the people of the haram (i.e. the hijaz) . Go to
him, for he will bring you to it.' Then he went into the thicket.
So, as we can see, had Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) been a
impostor as the people who make this claim against him imply, then Salman would not
have accepted his Prophethood, much less participated in the writing of the Qur’an with
him.
Secondly, Salman did not meet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) until
after the migration to Madinah and hence AFTER more than two -thirds of the Qur’an
(which includes the stories of the Prophets mentioned in the Bible) had already been
revealed In Makkah.
Thirdly, Salman was a Persian and his original tongue was not Arabic. The Qur’an’s
literary style is so brilliant and awe-inspiring that even Linguists who were born speaking
the Arabic language have not been successful at replicating it (despite repeated
challenges from the Qur’an itself to be discussed later) much less a Persian who’s
mother tongue was not Arabic.
Even if someone wanted to claim that it was someone other than the people mentioned
above, then we repeat the challenge of the Qur’an
…Say: "Bring your proof if you are truthful."
[Qur’an 2]
As for anyone other than that, then we ask would there not be some evidence that
someone was teaching Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him)? Would not
someone have stepped forward to say that he was Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings
be upon him) “teacher”? Yet, we find no such evidence of this.
Third Claim:
The Qur’an is the pure word of God having no human author
After having examined the theories that either Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be
upon him) wrote the Qur’an and that he got it from other sources and discussing the
flaws in those arguments, the logical question beckons that if Muhammad (Peace and
Blessings be upon him) did not write the Qur’an nor get it from another human or collect
it from other sources, then where did it come from?
We must now examine the theory that says that the Qur’an is the word of God sent to
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and by extension that he is the
Messenger of God.
The Challenge
First of all, the Qur’an in several places challenges mankind by saying:
Say: "If the mankind and the jinns were together to produce the like of this
Qur'an, they could not produce the like thereof, even if they helped one another."
[Qur'an 17]
And if you (Arab pagans, Jews, and Christians) are in doubt concerning that
which We have sent down (i.e. the Qur'an) to Our slave (Muhammad, Peace be
upon him ), then produce a surah (chapter) of the like thereof and call your
witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides Allah, if you are truthful. [Qur'an 2]
And this Qur’an is not such as could ever be produced by other than Allah (Lord
of the heavens and the earth), but it is a confirmation of (the revelation) which
was before it [i.e. the Taurat (Torah), and the Injeel (Gospel), etc.], and a full
explanation of the Book (i.e. laws and orders, etc, decreed for mankind) - wherein
there is no doubt from the the Lord of the Worlds. Or do they say: "He
(Muhammad, Peace be upon him) has forged it?" Say: "Bring then a surah
(chapter) like it, and call upon whomsoever you can, besides Allah, if you are
truthful!" [Qur’an 10-38]
Or they say, "He (Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him) forged it (the Qur’an)."
Say: "Bring you then ten forged surah (chapters) like unto it, and call
whomsoever you can, other than Allah (to your help), if you speak the truth!"
[Qur’an 11]
Or do they say: "He (Muhammad peace be upon him) has forged it (this Qur’an)?"
Nay! They believe not! Let them then produce a recital like unto it if they are
truthful. [Qur’an 52-34]
However, despite these repeated challenges, the Arabs who were at the height of their
poetic eloquence during the time of revelation of the Qur'an still could not even produce
the shortest surah like it. Alqama bin cAbd al-Manaf confirmed this when he addressed
the Quraysh Tribe by saying:
Oh Quraish, a new calamity has befallen you. Mohammed was a young man the most
liked among you, most truthful in speech, and most trustworthy, until, when you saw
gray hairs on his temple, and he brought you his message, you said that he was a
sorcerer, but he is not, for we have seen such people and their spitting and their knots;
(i.e., signs of people who engage in black magic) you said, a mystic, but we have seen
such people and their behavior, and we have heard their rhymes; you said a
soothsayer, but he is not a soothsayer, for we have heard their rhymes; and you said a
poet, but he is not a poet, for we have heard all kinds of poetry; you said he was
possessed, but he is not for we have seen the possessed, and he shows no signs of
their gasping and whispering and delirium. (signs of possession) Oh men of Quraish,
look to your affairs, for by Allah a serious thing has befallen you.
This is a challenge that still stands today, as no one has met this challenge in the over
one thousand four hundred (1,400) years since it was first made. This is a point upon
which we ask the reader to ponder.
Unmatched Eloquence
One of the most well-known stories of how the Qur’an’s miraculous eloquence effected
individuals is the story of al-Waleed ibn al-Mugheerah, who was the most eloquent and
highly esteemed poet of Makkah at the time of Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be
upon him)
Al-Waleed ibn al-Mugheerah passed by Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon
him) and heard him reciting the Qur’an and this had a visible effect upon him. He was
shaken and startled by what he had heard. The news of this incident spread throughout
Makkah.
Abu Jahl (the arch enemy of Islam) afraid that the people of Makkah might be affected
by the news and convert to Islam, rushed to al-Waleed and told him “Oh my uncle! Say
something (against Muhammad) so that the people will know that you are against him
and hate (his message)”
Al-Waleed replied, “And what can I say? For I swear by Allah, there is none amongst
you who knows poetry as well as I do, nor can any compete with me in composition or
rhetoric-not even in the poetry of the jinns! And yet, I swear by Allah, Muhammad’s
speech (meaning the Qur’an) does not bear any similarity to anything I know and I
swear by Allah, the speech that he says is very sweet, and is adorned with beauty and
charm. Its first part is fruitful and its last part is abundant (meaning that it is full of deep
meaning) and it conquers (all other speech) and remains unconquered! It shatters and
destroys all that has come before it (because of its eloquence)
Abu Jahl responded “Your people will not be satisfied until you speak against him!” Al-
Waleed therefore requested Abu Jahl “Leave me for a few days, so that I may think of
an appropriate response to give the Qur’aish”
After a few days, Abu Jahl came back to him and asked him what he had prepared. Al
Waleed, during this time could not think of any explanation to give except “This (the
Qur’an) is a type of magic that has an effect on its listeners.”
Biography of Prophet Muhammad, Ibn Hishaam p. 225
In response to this God Revealed in the Qur’an:
Nay! Verily, he (al-Waleed) has been stubborn and opposing our signs….verily he
thought and plotted; so let him be cursed, how he plotted! And once more let him
be cursed; how he plotted! Then he thought! Then he frowned and was irritated;
then he turned back and was proud! Then he said, ‘This is nothing but magic
from old; this is nothing but the word of a magician!’ I will cast him into the Hell-
Fire [Qur’an 74-26]
This was the testimony of the greatest poet alive during the time of Muhammad (Peace
and Blessings be upon him)
Orientalist Author Arthur Arberry, who studied and became fluent in the Arabic language
while studying in Egypt recognized the beauty of the Qur’an.
He said: “…the rhetoric and rhythm of the Arabic of the Qur’an are so characteristic, so
powerful, so highly emotive, that any version whatsoever is bound by the nature of
things to be but a copy of the glittering splendor of the original”
Arthur Arberry, The Koran Interpreted p. 24
Many other non-Muslims have also confirmed the Qur’an’s unmatched eloquence.
Hamilton Gibb, the famous University of Oxford Arabist said:
...the Meccans still demanded of him a miracle, and with remarkable boldness and self
confidence Mohammad appealed as a supreme confirmation of his mission to the Koran
itself. Like all Arabs they were the connoisseurs of language and rhetoric. Well, then if
the Koran were his own composition other men could rival it. Let them produce ten
verses like it. If they could not (and it is obvious that they could not), then let them
accept the Koran as an outstanding evident miracle
H A R Gibb, Islam - A Historical Survey, 1980, Oxford University Press, p. 28
Alfred Guillaume wrote:
The Qur’an is one of the world's classics which cannot be translated without grave loss.
It has a rhythm of peculiar beauty and a cadence that charms the ear. Many Christian
Arabs speak of its style with warm admiration, and most Arabists acknowledge its
excellence. When it is read aloud or recited it has an almost hypnotic effect that makes
the listener indifferent to its sometimes strange syntax and its sometimes, to us,
repellent content. It is this quality it possesses of silencing criticism by the sweet music
of its language that has given birth to the dogma of its inimitability; indeed it may be
affirmed that within the literature of the Arabs, wide and fecund as it is both in poetry
and in elevated prose, there is nothing to compare with it
Alfred Guillaume, Islam, 1990 (Reprinted), Penguin Books, pp. 73-74
It is a miracle in itself that for over one thousand, four hundred years, this challenge to
match the Qur’an’s is still stands unmet today despite many failed attempts to do so.
Could a human being have known these things?
Although the Qur’an is a book of guidance for all of mankind and not a science book ,
one of the great miracles of the Qur’an is its conformity with modern science. It is a sign
of its miraculous nature that it mentions things that no human being could have possibly
known one thousand four hundred (1,400) years ago! We will give just a few examples
here with commentary from some modern scientists who have read the Qur’an and
compared it with science.
…He creates you in the wombs of your mothers, from one stage to another, and
all along three veils of darkness surrounded you [Qur’an 39]
Dr. Keith Moore, one of the world’s prominent scientists of anatomy and embryology at
the University of Toronto said:
"The realization that the embryo develops in stages in the uterus was not proposed until
the 1940's, and the stages used nowadays were not adopted worldwide until the 15th
century C.E."
The Qur’an also says:
From what thing did He create him? From Nutfa (male and female semen drops)
He created him, and then set him in due proportion. [Qur’an 80]
Commenting on this verse, Dr. Moore said:
"The idea that development results from a genetic plan contained in the chromosomes,
of the zygote was not discovered until the end of the 19th century C.E. The verse from
the Qur'an (80:18) clearly implies that the nutfa (i.e. the initial drop of fluid) contains the
plan or blueprint for the future characteristics and features of the developing human
being".
Then We made the Nutfa into a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood), then We
made the clot into a little lump of flesh, then We made out of that little lump of
flesh bones, then We clothed the bones with flesh, and then We brought it forth
as another creation. So blessed be Allah, the Best of creators. [Qur’an 23]
The best way to really appreciate the beauty of the verses above is to see pictures of
the human embryo as it goes through the various stages of development. The reference
to “…chewed lump of flesh” is remarkably similar to the appearance of the embryo
after the first month.
Consider this in light of the fact that if one reads what embryologists said on the subject
just one hundred years ago, one would laugh at its inaccuracies.
Some of the other facts given in the Qur’an inc lude the formation of milk (16:66), the
orbiting of planets (21:33 and 36:40) and the description of the water cycle (15:22 and
35:9)
Maurice Bucaille writes on this topic:
“The above observation makes the hypothesis advanced by those who see Muhammad
as the author of the Qur'an untenable. How could a man, from being illiterate, become
the most important author, in terms of literary merits, in the whole of Arabic literature?
How could he then pronounce truths of a scientific nature that no other human being
could possibly have developed at that time, and all this without once making the
slightest error in his pronouncement on the subject?”
- Maurice Bucaille, The Bible, the Qur'an and Science, 1978, p 125.
Professor Alfred Kroner who is one of the world’s most famous geologists said:
"Thinking about many of these questions and thinking where Muhammad came from, he
was after all a bedouin. I think it is almost impossible that he could have known about
things like the common origin of the universe, because scientists have only found out
within the last few years with very complicated and advanced technological methods
that this is the case
We ask the sincere reader to ponder on these facts
The Miracle not limited by place and time
We mentioned in the introduction that every Prophet is sent with miracles to establish
his Prophethood.
Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) performed many miracles which have
been documented by those who witnessed them such as the splitting of the moon, the
increase of an inadequate amount of food to a large number of people, and many other
miracles that were not permanent and could not be seen by every generation in every
place.
The Qur’an, however is the permanent miracle and it is not limited by time and place.
Generations far removed from Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings be upon him) time
can witness it for themselves.
Ibn Khaldoon, a renowned Muslim historian put it very beautifully when he said:
“Know that the greatest of all miracles, and the most sacred and blessed and the
clearest proof is the Qur’an that was revealed to the Prophet (Peace and Blessings be
upon him). This is because all other miracles, in general, were brought forth separate
from the actual inspiration (that the Prophet received), as a means of proving the
truthfulness of the inspiration. As for the Qur’an, it is the inspiration and the miracle in
one, and is therefore the clearest and most powerful miracle, since it combines the
boast and the proof into one.”
Itr, p. 113
Also, we ask the reader to reflect on the following statement of Ibn Taymiyyah:
“The greatest (of all the miracles) is the Qur’an that the Prophet (Peace and Blessings
be upon him) came with, for it is the religion of God and His speech, and it is proof of
the Prophethood of Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him). Its very revelation
is one of the most supernatural and extraordinary of acts, for it is the call (to the worship
of God alone) and the proof (of the Prophethood of Muhammad, peace and blessings
be upon him) and the miracle (i.e., all in one)”
Collection of Islamic Rulings, vol. 11 p. 324
The Life Changing Effect Of The Qur’an
The Qur’an says:
“Verily this Qur’an leads to that which is most right…”
[Qur’an 17]
The Qur’an is a book for all of mankind that is meant to reform the individual and even
the society. It changes the individual that is devoid of guidance and improves an
individual if he is already on the straight path.
Before the Prophethood of Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) the Arabs
were heavy drinkers of alcohol, engage in tribal battles and even bury their female
babies alive. Yet, when one studies the history of the Qur’an, one finds that within a
span of twenty years, due to the miraculous effect of the Qur’an, was able to change
almost all the Arabs and non-Arabs in the Arabian Peninsula and bind them into a
brotherhood of faith and love that was so strong that if any part of the brotherhood
would anguish, the whole brotherhood was affected negatively.
These people became leaders of the world and cornerstones of a great civilization
whose influence would remain centuries
This effect lasted long after Muhammad’s (Peace and Blessings be upon him) death.
We see this in the following passage:
The sterling character and qualities of the Muslim soldiers were once praised by a
Roman Officer in these words: “At night you will find them prayerful; during the day you
will find them fasting. They keep their promises, order good deeds, suppress evil and
maintain complete equality among themselves”
Another testified thus: “They are horsemen by day and ascetics by night. They pay for
what they eat in territories under their occupation. They are first to salute when they
arrive at a place and are valiant fighters who just wipe out the enemy.”
And a third testified: “During the night it seems that they do not belong to this world and
have no other business than to pray, and during the day, when one sees them mounted
on their horses, one feels that they have been doing nothing else their whole lives. They
are great archers and great lancers, yet they are so devoutly religious and remember
God so much and so often that one can hardly hear talk about anything else in their
company”
Ibn Kathir, Bidayyah wa Nihayyah pg. 53
Lack of Contradiction
The Qur’an challenges mankind by saying:
The fact that there are no contradictions in the Qur’an, despite being revealed over the
twenty-three year period, under different circumstances, addressing different problems,
is a clear indication to the sincere and objective reader of its divine origin.
The Logical Conclusion
We have established that the Qur’an could not have been written by Muhammad
(Peace and Blessings be upon him) nor did he learn it from someone else or collect it
from other sources. Are you, the reader, still in doubt about this?
We ask you, if you are still in doubt to then take up the challenge of the Qur’an itself and
prove it to be false.
Ponder upon that fact that not one of the legions of brilliant poets that have lived in the
past 1,400 years have been able to match the Qur’an beauty and eloquence despite
repeated challenges from the Qur’an to do so. And they never will.
Why are they not successful? Because the Qur’an is indeed the word of God and who
can compete with God? God has told us in the Qur’an that they will never be able to do
it.
Say: "If the mankind and the jinns were together to produce the like of this
Qur'ân, they could not produce the like thereof, even if they helped one another."
[Qur’an 17]
In other words, the Qur’an itself has predicted that it will remain unparalleled and
unrivaled for all of eternity.
The futility of trying to match the Qur’an’s brilliance and eloquence has been foretold:
And if you are in doubt concerning that which We have sent down (the Qur'an) to
Our slave (Muhammad Peace be upon him), then produce a Surah (chapter) of the
like thereof and call your witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides Allah, if you
are truthful. But if you do not do it, and you can never do it, then fear the Fire
(Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, prepared for the disbelievers.
[Qur’an 2-24]
The above is exactly what has occurred! None have been able to meet this challenge to
his day and they can not do so.
Throughout this work, we have asked the sincere reader to ponder. We also stated in
the beginning that if we conclude that the Qur’an is the word of God, then we must by
extension accept the Messengership of Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessing be
upon him)
The rational criteria is at the sincere reader’s disposal, and one's emotional commitment
to religion should be preceded by an intellectual commitment to it. Reason, in fact, is our
primary means for finding the Truth.
We can put any religion or system of beliefs to test by examining whether it is rational,
universal, applicable at all times, in all places, and by people of all colors and
languages, and whether the religion's Scripture is free of alteration, internal and external
inconsistencies.
A scripture is internally inconsistent if it contains discrepancies and contradictions within
its text, and externally inconsistent if it contradicts facts (not theories) from science and
nature as we know them. For it is impossible that God does not know His creation or
that which He creates.
Our experience tells us that a few minutes of reasoning can usually leave us persuaded
in the truth of God's absolute Oneness and Uniqueness, so what remains to be studied
is which religion is truly monotheistic in its nature.
One of the major criteria for distinguishing the Truth from errors, that we would like to
stress, is the authenticity of the religious scripture.
We have presented above indisputable proof that the Qur’an is the word of God.
The reality is that Muslims are the only ones who even claim to have an authentic
scripture from God, in its original form, of which not a single letter has been changed.
Most other religions admit that their scriptures are in fact human writings. And if we say
that there is a Truth and God, we are likely to believe that God wants us to do certain
things and abstain from others.
If we are of the view that God would not leave us without a reliable Revelation, then the
mere fact that Muslims are the only ones who even claim to have an authentic
revelation could attest to the truthfulness of their claim.
However, as mentioned earlier, the Qur'an invites us to ponder and reason and to
accept faith based on knowledge, rather than the blind following of our traditions.
As we have quoted throughout this work from the Qur’an
Again we ask the sincere reader to ponder.
Back to top Go down
https://cunoastereaislamului.forumegypt.net

Who Wrote...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CUNOASTEREA ISLAMULUI - ISLAMIC KNOWLEDGE :: BIBLIOTECA - LIBRARY :: English-
Jump to: